DragCoverage.com Speed Forums  

DragCoverage.com Speed Forums > DragCoverage.com Speed Forums > General Discussion | Everything

04-10-2016, 08:33 PM
x-racer

: Apr 2016
: 82
What class? car?

If you had enough $$$ salted away....what class? Brackett/index....grudge? I used to love bracket racing, but the lack of a points program with prizes/incentives (gold card etc) has me thinking about a boat instead. I thought R/S might emerge from the split with a better defined set of rules, but it still looks like all you need do is sponcor, and you can run whatever. Where will the competitive fun fair racing be in the near future?
04-10-2016, 08:50 PM
Mark White

: Sep 2015
: 194

:
If you had enough $$$ salted away....what class? Brackett/index....grudge? I used to love bracket racing, but the lack of a points program with prizes/incentives (gold card etc) has me thinking about a boat instead. I thought R/S might emerge from the split with a better defined set of rules, but it still looks like all you need do is sponcor, and you can run whatever. Where will the competitive fun fair racing be in the near future?
I would love to have the $ to travel all over to the Big $ bracket races. That would be my 1st choice. 2nd it would be cool to have a very fast grudge car and be able to lock in races an travel all over an run them.
04-11-2016, 09:31 AM
x-racer

:
I would love to have the $ to travel all over to the Big $ bracket races. That would be my 1st choice. 2nd it would be cool to have a very fast grudge car and be able to lock in races an travel all over an run them.
What bracket races are on that hit list mark?
04-11-2016, 12:27 PM
Fordboy

: 192

If you think racing is expensive, don't buy a boat.
04-11-2016, 01:07 PM
x-racer

:
If you think racing is expensive, don't buy a boat.
They are just like cars, you can spend as much as you like
04-11-2016, 02:37 PM
Pitts Performance 1

: 61

:
They are just like cars, you can spend as much as you like
And they break shit for no reason, and they never go fast enough, and there is always a want/need for a bigger one, and they take all your money. Ask me how I know.

Don't buy a RZR either. My wife got one of them and they do the same thing. LOL
04-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Mark White

:
What bracket races are on that hit list mark?
The Million in Vegas the winter series the MountzPro Bracket Nationsls Wesley Washingtons Super Bowl of bracket racing, just to name a few.
04-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Biskit

: Tallahassee,Fl.
: 16

I'd like to go to a big bracket race that everybody is on the same playing field. so many guys using equipment to assist them in repeating their et.
04-11-2016, 08:50 PM
Alleybat

: Ozark Alabama
: 170
Wink

:
I'd like to go to a big bracket race that everybody is on the same playing field. so many guys using equipment to assist them in repeating their et.
I use that stuff. It's a brake pedal, gas pedal and a shift light!
04-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Alleybat

: Ozark Alabama
: 170

I'm picking at you, Biskit.
04-11-2016, 08:56 PM
Mark White

:
Have you ran in a 6.0 race lately ? but yes I understand where your coming from, that just makes it that much sweeter though when you win with a 6AL. Lol !

Last edited by Mark White; 04-11-2016 at 09:00 PM.
04-12-2016, 10:14 PM
j_warren

: Oct 2015
: 87

Years ago me and another guy came up with a true heads up non bracket/index racing class that was purposely designed to keep the big money competition out, or at the very least make it where it wasn't worth their efforts.

No one was interested because everyone still liked the boring bracket/index races.

I suspect that has not changed.
04-13-2016, 05:43 AM
Mark White

Both are very boring to the people who don't understand them or don't know how to race brackets & index.
04-13-2016, 08:52 AM
x-racer

:
Years ago me and another guy came up with a true heads up non bracket/index racing class that was purposely designed to keep the big money competition out, or at the very least make it where it wasn't worth their efforts.

No one was interested because everyone still liked the boring bracket/index races.

I suspect that has not changed.
Tracks do not want the problems associated with tech.(expense/time) Footbrake is thrown in with no box,with a staggered tree.....big money races have the problem biskit mentioned,r/s cannot get it done either. I would like to hear your ideas anyway ,if you care to elaborate
04-13-2016, 09:58 AM
x-racer

:
The Million in Vegas the winter series the MountzPro Bracket Nationsls Wesley Washingtons Super Bowl of bracket racing, just to name a few.
Vegas is to far for me, but I like the rest, I see three winter series ...sgmp, Bradenton and a three track series I'm not sure is still running.
04-13-2016, 11:21 AM
Mark White

:
Vegas is to far for me, but I like the rest, I see three winter series ...sgmp, Bradenton and a three track series I'm not sure is still running.
Sgmp's Super Bucks race is one of the best I've attended out of all of them. Big Jeds WFC in Bristol is the best Footbrake race around. we really enjoy it.
04-13-2016, 11:42 AM
x-racer

:
Check out the Moutz Pro flyer, bottom left corner, be interesting to see how they tech. You got yours ready Jimmy?
04-13-2016, 11:45 AM
x-racer

:
Sgmp's Super Bucks race is one of the best I've attended out of all of them. Big Jeds WFC in Bristol is the best Footbrake race around. we really enjoy it.
Big Jed is definitely on the to do list!
04-16-2016, 09:44 PM
j_warren

:
Tracks do not want the problems associated with tech.(expense/time) Footbrake is thrown in with no box,with a staggered tree.....big money races have the problem biskit mentioned,r/s cannot get it done either. I would like to hear your ideas anyway ,if you care to elaborate
The idea is pretty simple, basically racers would be going back to the the old school way of racing where a shade tree mechanic built their race cars.

It would go something like this, and I will explain all the rules:

Boring and stroking is allowed.

All cars required to use production small blocks only. If it is a chevrolet, only 262-400 ci are allowed. Fords, only 289, 302, 351W, 351C, or Boss 302. Mopar, the 318-360 engine family.

AMC gets to use the 304-401s. Good luck find one....

Pontiacs, Olds, Cadillac, and Buicks will have to be looked at more closely because with those engines a 350 could have the same size block as a 455 and may be difficult to tell the difference. However, I don't think it will be too much of an issue because due to the large costs of building these motors very few people race them, and the factory cylinder heads that are decent are rarer than a winning lottery ticket.

No 385 series Fords, no FE Fords, no big block chevrolet's including the smaller cubic inch truck motors, and no big block Mopars. The reason why is many can be stroked to well over 500 ci. That invites more big money.

No LS, Ford modular, or newer mopar hemi stuff allowed. Reason being is this stuff is superior to the older small block engines and invites the bigger money racers.

All motors must use factory production blocks and cylinder heads. Absolutely no aftermarket allowed on blocks and heads. The reason for this is quite simple. The factory blocks for all three will only allow a max cubic inch of around 440 with a stroker kit. If you allow aftermarket blocks, the sky is the limit and this invites more big money.

All engine blocks must be a 2 bolt main only. No 4 bolt blocks or 4 bolt conversions. Why is this? Keeping a block 2 bolt main limits the horsepower capacity and capability of the motor. This helps keep the big money guys out because they will not want to spend a pile of money on a high $ super light weight crank/rods/pistons and risk losing it all when they spin that 2 bolt main block to 10,000 rpm. Using a girdle is allowed.

Cylinder heads, basically same story. Aftermarket heads are pretty much unlimited in terms of choice and modification. Stock heads are much more limited.

No rare or exotic extreme limited production factory cylinder heads or blocks either.

Single carb intakes only.

No nitrous or forced induction allowed. Again, invites more big money racers. No other fuels allowed other than gasoline, or E85 because it is cheap.

No tubbing, cutting or welding on the chassis to improve suspension. If it won't bolt on, or you can't hammer out the rear quarter panels to make the tires fit, you cannot use them. All cars have to retain the factory glass, and steel body parts. In other words, no fiberglass or carbon fiber fenders, bumpers, trunk lids, cowls, etc. The only exception is if the car was originally equipped with them. No lexan. No wheelie bars. No cutting of floor pans and replacing with anything lighter than steel.

Fiberglass or carbon fiber is only allowed for the hood.

Transmission:

All transmissions have to be built using a factory Ford, GM, Mopar, or AMC case. No aftermarket transmissions allowed. However, you can use whatever aftermarket internals you like.

Rear end:

All rear end housings have to be a factory Ford, GM, Mopar, or AMC. No aftermarket housings. Ford 9" users must use a factory iron center section. No aluminum allowed and that includes pinion bearing support. Reason being is because the guys using the Ford 8.8s, or the GM 12 bolts don't have that lighter weight option.

Drive shafts:

Aluminum or steel only.

Wheels:

Whatever you can make work.

Tires:

Whatever you can make fit without cutting on the car.

Carb:

Single carb 2 or 4 barrel only, but no limit on cfm.

EFI:

Has to be factory configuration. In other words, if it came with an upper and lower, it has to stay upper and lower. If it came with tuned port injection, it has to stay that way. Retrofitting either into older carbed cars is allowed. Aftermarket versions of these manifolds are allowed.

Exhaust:

Any exhaust is allowed. Open headers allowed.

Roll Cage:

Steel only

Ignition:

Any ignition allowed

Electronics:

No electronics that aid in traction control or reaction time allowed. Transbrakes or clutches must be manual operated although they can be used in conjunction with a rev limited such as a 2 step..

All cars will be given a quick visual inspection before the race to make sure they are compliant with the basic rules (chassis, engine type, etc). After that, the 1st and 2nd place winners will be thoroughly inspected. 1st and 2nd place winners will not be allowed to return to their pit area until they are inspected.

This covers most of the basics for the heads up class.

Questions welcome.

Last edited by j_warren; 04-16-2016 at 09:54 PM.
04-16-2016, 10:01 PM
j_warren

:
Both are very boring to the people who don't understand them or don't know how to race brackets & index.

The number of people who don't understand them is increasing because the trend has been leaning more towards heads up and grudge racing scene for the past 20 years.

Fewer and fewer people want to spend a pile of money on a car to make it fast and lose to the guy with a stock F150 that got to leave 2 trees ahead racing in the same class.

With bracket racing, there is no need to even build a car at all. Just go buy a completely stock Camaro, Mustang, or Challenger and you get more benefits than the guys with the high $ bracket cars. Computer controlled shifts, EFI that automatically tunes the engine for various weather conditions, traction control. All you need to do is practice cutting a good light.