DragCoverage.com Speed Forums  

DragCoverage.com Speed Forums > DragCoverage.com Speed Forums > General Discussion | Everything

04-17-2016, 11:23 AM
Johnny Jordan

: Sep 2015
: 278

The "Grudge & Heads-Up" thing has been going on since the Super-Stock and Factory-Experimental classes came along back in the early '60s. It's nothing new ... "What Goes Around, Comes Around".

Big Deal Jacobs, Herman Moore, Pete Dorsey, Pete Mount, Max & Charles Smith, Jesse Chrildree, Big Daddy Ellis Milner were just some of the locals that Match Raced. There were more but my "Old Timerz" has set in right now.

Don Garlits, Dyno Don Nicholson, were 2 of the "Big Names" I remember right off that ran at Newton and Andalusia Dragways.

I Grudge/Match raced the Johnny Reb Camaro at the Big A Dragway in Abbeville as did many more locals. Tricky Ricky Smith ran there also.

You Younguns missed out on a lot of that stuff.

Thx, JJ
04-17-2016, 05:39 PM
j_warren

: Oct 2015
: 87

Pinks All Out was the closest thing to true heads up that was fair for everyone that ever came around here in the past 25 years that I have been into racing.
04-17-2016, 09:17 PM
x-racer

: Apr 2016
: 82

Picked up a 55 post car today RATROD....GASSER .....CRUISER? How the hades do you post pix on here?
04-17-2016, 10:25 PM
BowtieBilly1121

: "Sweet Home Valley AlaBama"
: 1,139

There is nothing wrong with Bracket Racing and any car if it is half way safe can race.
04-17-2016, 10:30 PM
BowtieBilly1121

: "Sweet Home Valley AlaBama"
: 1,139

:
Picked up a 55 post car today RATROD....GASSER .....CRUISER? How the hades do you post pix on here?
Keep it stock if you are interested in the value of it,but if you like I am and brought the car to enjoy it make it a nice Cruiser that you can have fun driving it on the street and do Cruise In with it and entering in Car Shows is fun.

PS a automatic is best but you can not beat a manual 4-5-6 speed for the fun of driving it!
04-18-2016, 07:03 AM
tad2155

: 19
new class

a 632 heads up wuld b good & simple
04-18-2016, 08:16 AM
Retired

: 527

:
Without a CRAZY weight limit!!!!
04-18-2016, 08:32 AM
x-racer

People with light cars don't want a weight limit .....people with 4-bbl Cleveland heads want to rule out any other stock flowing heads....I don't think a lot of cars will show up for a lopsided advantage either way. Warren, all the things you said were reasons people with slow cars can win...are the things that make brackets a level playing field, and entices so many to continue to participate. I don't see a out the back door format for the little guy flourishing anywhere, if there is, enlighten me.
04-18-2016, 08:40 AM
x-racer

:
4.84 BS ? what head ? What weight ? Did any show at Atmore ? I think that is where I saw that format last? No blowers?
04-18-2016, 08:46 AM
x-racer

:
Keep it stock if you are interested in the value of it,but if you like I am and brought the car to enjoy it make it a nice Cruiser that you can have fun driving it on the street and do Cruise In with it and entering in Car Shows is fun.

PS a automatic is best but you can not beat a manual 4-5-6 speed for the fun of driving it!
Want to drive this one.....maybe
04-18-2016, 09:26 AM
tad2155

: 19

:
4.84 BS ? what head ? What weight ? Did any show at Atmore ? I think that is where I saw that format last? No blowers?
wuld hav to get a group willing to do the class take some good imput on ideas
try to b fair and reasonable price for the racer I just like heads up and so do the fans
04-18-2016, 11:59 AM
x-racer

:
try to b fair and reasonable price for the racer I just like heads up and so do the fans
Out the back door or bracket racing with a 'heads up start' LOL
04-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Retired

: 527

4lbs. Per cubic inch. Pro-tree first to finish.
Or little tire & big tire first to finish.
04-18-2016, 03:35 PM
bugs

: Wewahitchka Fl.
: 243

you all living in fairy dust land hard to find a stock block that's worth a damn or a transmission case and if you do there most likely junk and even harder to keep them together. CLASS RACING THE ONE WHO HAS THE MOST CUBIC DOLLAR WINS. That's why there is bracket racing, may be boring to watch but puts you in the drivers seat if you want to compete.
04-20-2016, 07:57 AM
x-racer

:
I thought this was a class with potential when I first heard about it. Wasn't there a conventional head rule? 3000 lb rule? 632 max cubes? no blowers\turbos? Any tire, any chassis, one kit? pro tree out the back door!!!
How many do you know of, that are interested in something similar to this?
04-20-2016, 10:21 PM
j_warren

:
People with light cars don't want a weight limit .....people with 4-bbl Cleveland heads want to rule out any other stock flowing heads....I don't think a lot of cars will show up for a lopsided advantage either way. Warren, all the things you said were reasons people with slow cars can win...are the things that make brackets a level playing field, and entices so many to continue to participate. I don't see a out the back door format for the little guy flourishing anywhere, if there is, enlighten me.
What exactly is 'lopsided' about the rules I listed?

The problem with bracket racing is it is completely dead or dying. Friday night or Sunday afternoon test and tune/grudges racing has been the norm for almost two decades. Even more proof of this fact are shows like Pinks and Street Outlaws. Both of which feature strictly heads up racing.
04-20-2016, 10:34 PM
j_warren

:
you all living in fairy dust land hard to find a stock block that's worth a damn or a transmission case and if you do there most likely junk and even harder to keep them together. CLASS RACING THE ONE WHO HAS THE MOST CUBIC DOLLAR WINS. That's why there is bracket racing, may be boring to watch but puts you in the drivers seat if you want to compete.
I had no problem finding a stock block, heads or transmission case when I built my motors. Matter of fact, I built a car back in 2003 that fit the very rules I listed above. built it making a whopping 9 dollars an hour while paying a mortgage and all associated bills. The car ran consistent mid 6.40s till I sold it in 2010. Then it sat for 6 years untouched till another guy bought it. Then he changed the carb and ran 6.30s. Transmission was freshened once and the heads were gone through in 13 years.

Yes, it can be done with a stock block/heads and transmission case.

Last edited by j_warren; 04-20-2016 at 10:37 PM.
05-09-2016, 01:45 PM
bman16

: 43

Get in the other lane
06-15-2016, 07:47 PM
GMproud

: Jun 2016
: Arizona
: 10

This one is easy. Injected Nitro Funny Car. Why? It would be a money maker that track promoters would love to book in. Can run 5.50 @ 250 plus all day, low rpm so it doesn't eat rods and valve springs, and with a 70s body would be a fan draw. Everything else is a $$$$$$$$$$ loser. Most parts can be bought from the big show cars used. At worst it can pay for it's self.
06-16-2016, 06:03 AM
old_memories

: Quincy,Fl.
: 161

I agree with some of the stuff here ,,,,,I started drag racing in 1963 yes it was only in classes, no brackets. Its was lots of fun and those that missed those days sure missed alots..
I also still love what we have today ....